WORLD WATER LOSS DAY
To raise awareness, the Water Loss Specialist Group of the International Water Association (IWA) has established World Water Loss Day.
Water loss is a global issue, with approximately 346 billion (346,000,000,000!) litres of water lost from worldwide supply networks every single day.
If these water losses were reduced by only 30%, 800 million people could be supplied with already treated water.
In our daily lives only 15% of the water we consume is for drinking purposes, so we need to be smart.
Small changes in daily habits can contribute significantly to saving water, so:
- We close the tap when we wash our hands
- We do not let the tap run while doing the dishes
- We turn on washing machine and dishwasher when they are totally filled
- We install saving nozzles on taps to reduce consumption
- We check for leaks by monitoring the water meter when all supplies are closed
- At every opportunity, we encourage friends and family to adopt daily water saving practices